KEY FACTS ABOUT THE LAUGH-O-GRAM PROJECT
About the Laugh-O-Gram Film Studio
- Walt Disney created Laugh-O-Grams, short animated cartoons, in this building from 1922 to 1923
- The building is located at 1127 East 31st Street, Kansas City, MO 64109
- The building is known among animation historians as “the Cradle of Hollywood Animation” because the people Walt trained in this building became the founders of America’s most well-known animation studios
About the Building
- The two-story, 10,000 sq. ft. McConahy Building was designed by architect Nelle Peters and constructed in 1922 by the Bliss Building Co.
- The building is owned by Thank You Walt Disney, a 501(c)(3) non-profit that saved the building from demolition and continues to stabilize and maintain the structure.
- TYWD Leadership: Butch Rigby, Chair, and Dan Viets, President
About the Renovation Initiative
Courtesy of BNIM
Thank You Walt Disney, Inc. is dedicated to preserving and restoring the Laugh-O-gram Film Studio that Walt Disney created and operated in Kansas City, Missouri from 1922-1923.
The above animation walks you through one architect team’s award winning vision of how the Laugh-O-gram building could be designed.
This building will be home to an animation museum, training space for animation and digital media storytelling, and a co-working space for new media startups.